Monday, August 3, 2009

Welcome

Hello, my name is The Fake Doctor. OK, that’s not actually my name, but let’s just say it’s a lot more popular than my real, ethnically hilarious Jewish name. Starting in 2003 I wrote a blog to describe my experiences as a medical student, where, as expected, I encountered so many freaks I didn’t know what to do with myself. From there I somehow managed to obtain my medical degree and proceed to residency, where I encountered less freaks (but am still pleasantly surprised from time to time). Realizing that I was getting a little bored repeatedly delving into the comic misery that is my life, I thought I’d turn my attention to something more exciting and more relevant. No, not the minute-by-minute happenings of Michael Jackson’s half-brain, but close. By “exciting and relevant” I mean a gloriously worded, home-brewed, 1,018 page blockbuster known as HR 3200. It is also known as “America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009”, “Better Than Sex”, or “The End Of Mankind As We Know It”.

Because of its many names, I thought it would be interesting to actually look at this monstrosity in some amount of detail since, unlike just about every other piece of legislation that has been passed in first 28 years of my life, this one might actually affect me as a current and future practicing physician (take that Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002). I though it would be great to actually initiate a dialogue about this bill, since it is all really confusing and, as I learned when my dad challenged me on my thoughts on the matter yesterday, I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about and should probably learn something about how this would shape my career. Also, I thought that deep down, if I could actually find something funny about this, then maybe someone will actually offer me a book deal so I can make a buck or two million.

With that, I plan to analyze this bill over the next month (or when I have time). Since I think it deserves its own post, I will comment on potential biases and background shortly. I invite any and all comments (try to keep it civil and/or ripe with naked pictures of yourself), and I hope you find this at least somewhat useful. And if not, you can’t arrest me for trying…unless I happen to be trying in my own home.

4 comments:

  1. Hats of off for taking the efforts ! Cool educational idea indeed:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love following you Mr. Fake Doctor since medical student was published

    ReplyDelete